The EOS R5 appears to be an insane full-frame camera which has filmmakers and photographers extremely excited. This new, professional full frame mirrorless camera appears to advance image quality to a whole new level.
The new announcement from Canon reveals quite some important updates for filmmakers and photographers, including:
– 8k Raw 30fp, Uncropped video recording in 4:2:2 10-bit C-log and HDR PQ.
– 4k 120 fps video recording in 4:2:2 10-bit C-log and HDR PQ.
– Dual Pixel CMOS AF, available in all recording modes and resolutions.
– 5-axis in-body image stabilization, optical IS for both RF and EF lenses.
– 20fps electronic shutter or 12fps mechanically.
– CF Express and SD UHS-II card slots.
With their patented dual pixel autofocus they promise your shots will never be blurry or out of focus anymore, no matter how complex. Something else that professionals will probably enjoy are the dual card slots.
EOS R5 allows you to expand your world of filmmaking and explore more dynamic, new ways of telling your story. Well, let’s be honest the camera seems to outperform even higher-end cinema gear that costs thousands of dollars.
The highlighted key features of the camera make the EOS R5 a “game changer” in the full-frame mirrorless market. In the end we’ll just have to see if they can keep these promises.
We don’t know everything about the EOS R5 yet, but we do know that it’ll have internal 8K RAW recording and 4K 120FPS capabilities. There’s no official word on exactly how much megapixels the sensor will be. Price and release date are also yet unknown. Canon hasn’t announced more details yet, but we’ll be keeping an eye out for more news for sure